Thursday, June 7, 2012

Some Office Restructuring

Around 10pm last night I got an e-mail from Leah, one of the marketing people who just graduated from college and is easily the most enthusiastic person in the office. The subject read, "No need to come in tomorrow" and continued explaining that there would be "some office restructuring and meetings going on all day." It seemed innocuous enough to me, after all, no one got fired on Tuesday so why would they be fired now?
WRONG!
While I've been going about my day working from home (which proves to be a lot more relaxed, it was a beautiful day today so I took advantage by working in the park :D) I received another e-mail this time reading almost like that phone call I got from my mom when my cat died. "There have been some really tough decisions made by the management, and Paige has been dismissed." 
My initial reaction was: OH MY GOD! This was the woman who first interviewed me back in February, the one who set me up on my first day, the one who just gave me an assignment the day before. How could they have just so easily let her go?
Luckily, this doesn't actually affect me or my internship, but on a bigger level it shows me how to corporate world functions. People come and go and sometimes their "hidden talent sheet" might not be up to snuff. All I can do is work on myself and keep learning. 
Time to start working on those project planning sheets now, my first experience with real event planning and marketing. Cool, guess I can add this to my own "hidden talent sheet". 

No comments:

Post a Comment