Friday, June 8, 2012

Office Restructuring Pt. 2

I got into the office, sat my usual desk enshrouded in darkness and to my surprise it felt even lonelier than usual. The entire back office staff was gone. Leah, the new liason for interns sat Megan (the other intern) and I down and talked us through the change. Words like tax evasion, restructuring, and leadership were thrown around until she finally got to the point: IndiePix is broke....to put it bluntly. Her words resonated with me because I felt that now more than ever I was an essential part of the office. Granted, I am cheap labor, but I can rise to the occasion and do something meaningful. I got a new desk out of the whole changeup, which I can't complain about, it's right in front of the sky light and I have a great view of the elevator and everyone who comes in. This includes mail carriers and the other floor tenant's visitors as well. It's definitely interesting.
Either way, I had more important things to attend to that night. It was my first film festival, or at least first time covering one. I went to the Brooklyn Film Festival and watched the Tibetan film, Old Dog followed by a Q&A with the director. Sitting in the theatre with my blazer, amazing chocolate chip cookie (Brooklyn's Best), and notepad in hand I felt this great satisfaction. I can definitely do this for a living. Maybe not with IndiePix (seeing as how I doubt they have any funds to last more than three months...) but absolutely somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment