Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Meeting the Idol

I went into work on Tuesday ready for something I've never experienced before. I was going to see a live taping for a Martin Scorsese directed talk show, Guest Host. I got invited through one of my film professors from Columbia and I took advantage of it immediately as an opportunity to write about it for the IndiePix blog. This is the type of underground stuff that I never thought I'd ever have the chance to go to. And here it was happening. Walking from my east side office to the basically Hell's Kitchen studio was a borderline nightmare, but it was all worth it. The waiting room was quiet but there was an anxious air that lingered as more and more groups of people went in and there he was. A small, stout, balding gray head perfectly kept and primmed. He was standing near the cameramen in the back and even from the front of the room his laugh resonated with me. It was an unapologetic laugh that I can still hear every now and then if I think of the day. He eventually came up and introduced the guest host and the classic Fran Lebowitz. He stood right in front of me (I got lucky and sat int he front row!) and I must say his suit was out of this world. It looked like one of the most expensive pieces of clothing I've ever seen. Hearing him speak was even more impressive, his charisma and brilliance shown through. THIS WAS THE GUY WHO DIRECTED GOODFELLAS AND TAXI DRIVER AND THE DEPARTED!!! I felt like I was seeing an idol. And I guess in reality, I was. And then Spike Lee came out, he was the guest host. Double whammy. This post really isn't doing the experience justice, but to get more of an idea of how awesome this Tuesday was read the post I wrote for IndiePix here:
http://blog.indiepixfilms.com/indiepix-news/impressions-scorseses-guest-host-w-spike-lee-fran-lebowitz/

No comments:

Post a Comment