Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Small Victories

I went to the bathroom today and looked outside the window, and there it was staring right at me: the Empire State Building. My humble desk doesn't have a window unless you count the massive and glorious Mac computer monitor (gotta love the perks of having to do some occasional design work), so I always find it difficult to situate myself in terms of the rest of Manhattan. But there it was, right next to the coconut blossom soap dispenser, New York's most iconic building symbolizing everything related to success and power, the Empire State Building.
I immediately remembered the first time I step foot inside it with my family when I was visiting Columbia for Days on Campus. We took a tour to the top and devoured the view of the city lit up at night. This was just a little more than two years ago, and here I am sitting at a desk just a few blocks away from it working at a company that will hopefully give me the experience and guidance to propel me to a successful career one day.
I went back to my desk and was told to design a DVD sale sheet for this film called Redland. Sure, I thought, I can do this, why not. I opened up InDesign and PhotoShop and instead of my usual anxiety-induced "oh boy where do I start?!" I busted out a pretty sweet sale sheet. Matt, the guy who decides which films we buy walked past it and even said it was good.
I sat there thinking, well if I've gotten this far I gotta keep going. A small victory for me indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment