Tuesday, June 5, 2012


My second on the job felt just like what The Office looks like on TV. Some company big guy investor type came in and held individual meetings with everyone. All of a sudden everyone was whispering, making hourly trips to the water cooler to find out what was behind this surprise visit. "Someone is getting fired," is what Brad, the designer who sits next to me declared with a look of shear fear and anxiety on his face. Only two days in and I was already experiencing an office shake-up.
One by one they went in, they were supposed to write a page on their responsibilities and any hidden talents they have. In other words, this big guy was saying, "Why shouldn't you be fired?" Even though I'm an intern and I'm not costing this company anything (gotta love not having a salary...) this whole thing still freaked me out. Is this how unstable the film industry is, even on THIS somewhat corporate level? All these guys are trying to do is sell movies...rough.
I sat at my desk and just continued my work, freaking out as I had to use PhotoShop for the first time since high school (has it really been over 2 years?!?) and realized how important it is for me to perfect these different skillsets, no matter how challenging or intimidating they are. It's a competitive market out there, and if I ever have to write one of these "hidden talent" sheets, it'd be nice not to have to adjust the margins and font just to fill the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment