Thursday, June 14, 2012

Media Mayhem

Today I covered the Northside Entrepreneurship Festival in Brooklyn. It was probably my first time ever really experiencing a social media conference like this one, and Williamsburg as well. So it was basically internet savvy hipsters. You can only imagine... But in all seriousness, it was an amazing experience. I learned a tremendous amount from the speakers about where independent film has been where it is now and where it's headed. It was information that I finally felt was relevant to me and directly to my future. If I want to get in this game I need to keep one foot out the door ready to jump onto the next boat and stay relevant in the industry. The field seems to be growing even more reliant on grassroots movements and on top of that very individual marketing strategies. More than ever learning and knowing how to market and promote seems immensely important.
The day got a bit weird when I ran into one of my ex-bosses. We didn't chat because she was really busy but it felt weird seeing her out in the world still working and doing things. I guess being fired really isn't the end of the world.

I spent the rest of the morning exploring the promoters for the event and their various apps. Very cool stuff which made me realize how expansive the film world can be. There were people there from screening venues, concession venues, and even a startup that helps you locate people. Everything seemed to be related and it was comforting to know that having a film studies degree will not be limiting at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment